Rocket Mass Heaters have a lot of advantages over a conventional wood stove. They:
- Let off heat gradually over the day, so you don't need to keep tending a fre
- They burn up the smoke, using that energy for heat, and not releasing nearly as many CO2 emmissions into the air. The exaust is nearly pure steam.
- They burn up the creasote, making the burn not only safter, but also more efficient.
- They generally require about 1/10 of the wood to heat your home.
- You can build a rocket mass heater at home, in a day or two.
- It releases less CO2 than natural gas or electric heat
- Even if you purchase the firewood, it still costs less to operate than natural gas
Here's a nice diagram of the inside of a rocket mass heater (from Paul Wheaton's article on Rocket Mass Heaters):
And here's the windflow in action, and a completed rocket mass heater (also from Paul Wheaton's article on Rocket Mass Heaters, which happens to be a wealth of rocket mass heater knoweldge):
If you're interested in building a rocket mass heater, you can find Erica and Ernie Wisner's L-shaped plans for free on permies:
The Wisner's also have various plans, booklets, and manuals for sale at permies.com
Their book, The Rocket Mass Heater Builder's Guide: Complete Step-by-Step Construction, Maintenance and Troubleshooting, is only available through amazon.
Paul Wheaotn has now made 8 DVDs on the subject of efficient wood heat through the power of Rocket Mass Heaters.
Here's a quick summary of what is on each of the DVDs (see this article on wood heat to find out more):
- DVD 1: Fire Science (learn how Rocket Mass Heaters work)
- DVD 2: Sneaky Heat (building an even more efficient Rocket Mass Heater)
- DVD 3: Boom Squish (the dangers of heating water in a pressurized system)
- DVD 4: Hot Rocket (making a rocket stove that cooks quickly and effieicently)
- DVD 5: Cob Style (building a cob-style rocket mass heater)
- DVD 6: Pebble Style (building a pebble style rocket mass heater that uses pebbles, instead of cob or masonry for it's mass)
- DVD 7: Shippable Core (how to make a ligher-wieght core of a rocket mass heater.)
- DVD 8: Innovators Event (rocket oven, rocket, an outdoor rocket mass heater/cooker/smoker; A "batch box style" rocket mass heater with measured output cleaner than anything we have ever encountered)
hungry for more info?
Join our daily-ish email newsletter for links to the best threads on permies.com, info about new events, and over 37 free documentaries, plans, ebooks, and more!
copyright © 2020 paul wheaton, missoula, mt | Disclaimer